Melverley lies near the confluence of the rivers Severn and Vyrnwy in the peaceful rural setting of the Shropshire and Powys border. The Village has 58 households with a population of 156 people.
The village church, St Peter’s, is a timber framed building which was rebuilt in 1406 to replace the original burnt down by Owain Glyndwr during the Welsh uprisings in 1401. All that remains of the old building is the Saxon font, which is still in use today.
The Potts Line railway ran through the village and was originally built to link Shrewsbury, Llanymynech and Oswestry. There was a brick built shelter for passengers to wait unlike many of the other stops on the line. The line was never really financially successful and closed in the 1960’s following the Beeching cuts. A road was built on the line of the railway connecting the village to Crew Green, Powys utilising the old railway bridge over the river
The village had a primary school now closed, the original building now acts has the Village Hall and is run by Trust providing an ideal location for various functions. It is where the Parish Council hold its meetings.
The council is a single ward parish with five councillors meeting six times a year in January, March, May, July, September and November. The May meeting is the Annual General Meeting and also the Annual Village Meeting.